April 14 marks National Dolphin Day, so what better way to celebrate than to learn a few facts about dolphins?!
- Dolphins are cetacean mammals related to whales and porpoises.
- They can range in size from 4 feet up to 30 feet.
- Found worldwide, they prefer the shallower seas of the continental shelves.
- As carnivores, their diet mostly consists of fish and squid.
- They can hear frequencies ten times or more above the upper limit of what adult humans can hear.
- Living in pods of as many as a dozen dolphins, they are highly social animals.
- Not only are they playful, dolphins are also highly intelligent. Some studies claim they may be the second most intelligent living creatures aside from humans.
- Dolphins that are acquainted or live in pods actually play together. In fact, they have been observed play-fighting like little kids.
Have you ever spotted a dolphin leaping above the water’s surface? If not, it’s time to book a Wild Hearts sail. Watching these graceful creatures will certainly bring joy to your day!